Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Potato Pea Curry

This is the first dish I have ever made in a pressure cooker! Yup, my first pressure cooker...thank you Justin for the gift. 

I am not sure how the pressure cooker works exactly (e.g. the technical details or the physics of it all), but gee, it does amazing things.  In layman’s terms, you stick shit in it, and shit comes out cooked in a matter of minutes. 

This simple dish includes purple, red, and russet potatoes with peas, and green onions.  Oh yeah, and did I mention the overcooked broccoli?  Yes, I learned very quickly that you cannot put items with cooking times that are not equivalent in the pot at the same time, or else they turn into mush, or pesto-like coloring as in this dish.  Aside from that minor problem, this dish actually tasted pretty good, and is quite pretty if I do say so myself. 

The spices include curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin seeds, and garam masala.  All I did was chop up the ingredients, throw them in the pressure cooker, with a 1/2 cup of water, and the spices.  Place the pressure cooker on the stove on high until it is a "whistle blower" hehehe, turn the heat to low and cook for 2 1/2 minutes.  Turn the stove off, and allow for all the pressure to release.  Out pops some yummy goodness as this picture obviously depicts!

(Time: 5-10  minutes to mise-en-place and cook)

No comments:

Post a Comment